Monday, July 5, 2010

In Quito

hello friends!

I made it to Ecuador all in one piece. In fact on my flight down I was bumped up to first class! I have no idea why or how but I must have had some good karma stored up. I have never been in first class before and do you know you get a tablecloth! A tablecloth and real glass and a cloth napkin. I felt a little embarressed about my windfall and did not take full advantage I think. Then I arrived in Ecuador. There was a little mix up trying to get to my host family (the director of the program took me instead) but I eventually made it. My host family is just one awesome lady and her dachsund, Bruno. I will post pictures very soon. I had orientation and got my schedule of intense spanish class and time in the hospital. Then I go for a weekend in Banos and on to Puyo. My very first week I stay overnight in an indigenous rainforest village. I am very excited. My spanish is a lot worse than I thought. So, I am in the very most basic level of class. My host mom, Gina, is very good about talking to me and trying to ask questions. Sometimes she launches into a long story that I cannot understand but I nod and smile and pet Bruno. I took some pictures of Quito from Gina´s daughter´s apartment roof. She also talked to me for a long time. Basically my family is amazingly accomodating of my poor Spanish.

All the students and teachers at the school so far have been really great. Today I braved my fear and went to a seafood resturaunt and tried Ceviche. Ecuador is famous for ceviche on the coast. It is basically seafood gently cooked with acid as I understand it. I tried shrimp and conch. I paid kind of a lot by Quito standards like $7 but I figured it was worth it to pay high dollar for barely cooked seafood in a very clean, nice place. I want to say I loved it but I didn´t it was a little weird because it is served cold. It was an intense flavor too. I liked the shrimp but not so much the conch because I kept biting into hard stuff (sand?). Anyway I hope to post pictures tonight. Yesterday was Sunday and everything was closed including the internet cafes so I couldn´t tell everyone I was alive. Luckily too the traffic was a little slower. But today it was a lot of scurrying.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Karen,

    Glad to here that your trip is going well so far and that your host family is really nice. I am sure by the time you return to the States, you will be speaking up a Spanish storm. Sorry to hear that you didn't care for the ceviche, it is an acquired taste, but when done right can be amazing.
    Hope you continue to do well and look both ways when crossing the street.
    Patrick G.

    ReplyDelete